Summer is around the corner and the #1 question we get is… how do I protect my skin? Although you should be protecting exposed skin throughout the year, Summer yields more skin bared and therefore, more need for protection. The formula to healthy skin is quite simple:
Healthy Skin = Nourish + Protect + Repair
- Nourish. Healthy skin starts with the right nourishment. There are many whole foods that can help your skin stay healthy and avoid damage from prolonged trips to the beach, however here are the 3 you should definitely take notice of:
- Salmon contains essential Omega-3 fatty acids the body can’t produce by itself. They strengthen cell membranes, allowing for a better flow of nutrients, helping your skin maintain a healthy glow while staying hydrated.
- Antioxidant fruits. Pomegranates, blueberries, and acai have the highest antioxidant content. In addition to helping your body regulate and rid itself of toxins, antioxidants also help fight free radicals in your skin, such as the ones that occur when your skin is exposed to the sun.
- Green tea. Not only can it help you lose some unwanted weight, green tea also has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe the skin. This can be especially helpful if you get a sunburn (but try not to!).
- Protect. There are many sunscreens on the market, but our favorite is SkinMedica’s TOTAL DEFENSE + REPAIR. If you’re like us and don’t like the “ghost” look on the beach, you can come by to pick up the tinted version of this all-in-one treasure right at our office.
- Repair. Hot weather and more activity outdoors brings on a higher risk of dehydration, therefore drinking enough water for your level of activity is crucial. Electrolytes can help rehydrate you quicker by speeding up the absorption of water in your body, however be careful where you get your electrolytes from. Although sports drinks such as Gatorade boast a good amount of electrolytes, they also contain a high amount of sugar which can further lead to dehydration and some unwanted weight gain if you are not using up those calories. Instead, try a homemade mixture of citrus fruits of your choosing (lime, lemon, grapefruit, etc.) and a pinch of salt in water. Not only will you save money, but your kids will love it too!
Do you have sun spots? We have a safe and effective treatment for that! Call 212-517-9400 to learn more.